Communications and Media Internship
Location: Washington, USA
Promundo-US, an international non-governmental organization working to promote gender equality and violence prevention, seeks a paid, part-time Communications and Media Intern to work in its Washington, DC office. This position will form part of Promundo’s communications team and will report to Annaick Miller, Communications Assistant.
Founded in Brazil in 1997, Promundo works to promote gender equality and create a world free from violence by engaging men and boys in partnership with women and girls. Promundo is a global consortium with members in the United States, Brazil, Portugal, and Democratic Republic of the Congo that collaborate to achieve this mission by conducting cutting-edge research that builds the knowledge base on masculinities and gender equality; developing, evaluating, and scaling up high-impact gender-transformative interventions and programs; and carrying out national and international campaigns and advocacy initiatives to prevent violence and promote gender justice.
• Collaborate on social media content creation and online visibility strategies
• Update institutional and campaign websites with resources and news
• Research/monitor relevant news outlets and coverage
• Edit/proofread communications and funding proposals
• Research and select communications contractors as needed
• Layout/design various publications using Adobe Design Suite
• Collect and organize resources on gender equality, violence prevention, sexual and reproductive health and rights, fatherhood, and more
• Other tasks as assigned
• Excellent English writing, editing, and proofreading skills
• Strategic use and facility with social media platforms such as Twitter,
• Facebook, and YouTube
• Previous experience with website content management systems (such as WordPress) and/or desire to learn
• Proficiency with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop and/or desire to learn
• Strong attention to detail
• Hard worker and quick learner
• Proactive, able to handle multiple tasks and prioritize well, with strong self-motivation
• Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS
• Experience in video editing
• Second language skills, especially Portuguese, Spanish, or French
• Knowledge of gender, global health, international development, and/or social justice issues
• Flexible start date; beginning of September 2018 preferred.
• Ability to commit to internship for 16 hours/week for three months, at least through mid-December 2018, with potential to extend.
How to apply:
To apply, please send a 1) resume, 2) cover letter addressed to Annaick Miller, and 3) writing sample no later than August 3, 2018 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write "Communications & Media Internship" as the subject heading. Please indicate if you are legally authorized to work in the United States. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.