Civic Engagement Manager
Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York, USA
Organization: National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health (NLIRH)
Founded in 1994, the mission of the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health (NLIRH) is to build Latina power to guarantee the fundamental human right to reproductive health, dignity and justice. We elevate Latina leaders, mobilize our families and communities, transform the cultural narrative and catalyze policy change.
NLIRH seeks a bilingual (Spanish-English), committed, experienced individual who is passionate about social justice to support the growth and development of the Latina Advocacy Networks (LANs). The civic engagement manager will manage the civic engagement strategy for the Community Mobilization (CM) department to support base building and voter outreach efforts. Working closely with the LANs, the civic engagement manager will provide guidance and resources to implement electoral and issue-based campaigns to support state-level and national policy agendas.
The ideal candidate will be committed to community organizing as a way to build community power and win electoral and issue campaigns. They will have a proven track record of building and managing successful walk and phone operations, and experience using civic engagement tools to manage these efforts. We seek a civic engagement manager with experience working with diverse communities and cultivating relationships, who is also highly motivated in a fast-paced environment. Candidates must have knowledge and commitment to reproductive health and rights and/or social justice issues. This position reports to the Senior Director of Community Engagement Programs.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage Voter Activation Network accounts for the department and ensure data integrity
- Cultivate and support a relationship with State Voices data personnel and respective state table data managers in order to best support the integrated voter engagement (IVE) programs in each state
- Attend national State Voices convening(s) at least once a year per state
- Train, develop, supervise and manage a team/crew of canvass staff to do high quality community outreach and organizing to meet organizational goals
- Support the identification and development new activist leaders
- Work with the LAN Coordinators to advise processes for canvasser recruitment
- Provide coaching and facilitate training workshops and regional meetings
- Works with staff from other departments to integrate various elements of national campaigns or rapid response efforts within CM civic engagement campaigns/programs
- Carry out administrative, logistical, and financial management responsibilities as necessary to efficiently run civic engagement campaigns, and to ensure safe, accurate and responsible management and reporting
- Create and manage policies and procedures for civic engagement programs with Sr. Director as per strategic plan and IRS regulations and laws
- Ensure field staff understands IVE policies and procedures and correctly utilizes resources to implement said policies
- Create standardized tools and resources to support field staff in meeting and exceeding IVE goals and benchmarks
- Accurately track voter data and member development over time, analyze results, and use data to inform future work:
- Track daily, weekly, and monthly numbers reports from the field staff
- Manage script development and review with LAN coordinators
- Lead civic engagement collateral development and review, including pulling mailer universes in partnership with relevant NLIRH staff
- Execute civic engagement plans and monitor progress towards measurable outcomes for participation at phone banks, canvassing, and other voter-turnout/engagement activities
- Communicate as needed with volunteer leaders regarding programs, timelines and general reporting
- Support Sr. Director in administering evaluations of civic engagement operations
- Serve as liaison for civic engagement portfolio to funders
- Work with partner organizations to improve and coordinate field tactics and strategies
- Develop and manage Partnership Agreements with local partners to implement Civic Engagement and Paid Canvassing Programs
- Support LAN policy staff and community mobilization staff in alliance building with elected officials and promote relationships key government officials and offices with relevant data
- Other duties as assigned
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- At least two years of political organizing with demonstrated increasing responsibility at state or national level.
- Strategic and tactical thinker with demonstrated leadership, analytical, and creativity skills.
- Able to manage multiple campaigns at once and prioritize appropriately.
- Organized, data-driven, and technology-friendly.
- Experience working with communities of color and immigrant communities strongly preferred.
- Teaching or training experience, particularly with adult-learners, a plus.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to build teamwork and motivate a wide variety of individuals and stakeholders.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Strong presentation and public speaking skills.
- Computer skills: working knowledge of campaign databases including the Voter Activation Network, word processing, spreadsheet, and multimedia presentation software.
- English and Spanish fluency required.
- Familiarity with 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 non-profit rules.
- This position requires 30-40% travel.
Commensurate with experience.
NLIRH offers excellent benefits, including health insurance, vacation, personal, sick leave. Comp time to be provided for work on the weekend. $750 offered for Professional Development.
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying please send your resume, cover letter and a brief writing sample to email@example.com. Please write Civic Engagement Manager in the e-mail subject line.