Chief Executive Officer
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
The responsibility of the CEO is to work collaboratively with key stakeholders to ensure the organization is meeting its paradigm-shifting goals on higher education in Africa; continually recruit and develop a dynamic, talented team of extraordinary pan-African leaders to do the work; and ensure the financial sustainability of the organization is secured through a mixture of philanthropy and other innovative financing mechanisms. This last area of work is of the greatest significance to the organization as we try and balance our ability to grow with the financial realities of fundraising and other financing.
If these three conditions are met, the ideal candidate will succeed in the role. The CEO reports to the Chair of the Kepler Board.
Kepler has recently made a series of new commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I). This will be taken into considering during the CEO search; and the ideal candidate will enter the role fully committed to fulfilling the organization’s DE&I goals.
Practical responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Lead the organization in its external engagements with partners, donors and other thought leaders, while building a strong bench of senior leaders to do the same
- Actively develop the culture of the organization, and ensure that the behaviors and mindsets of Kepler staff and students continually live up to our values
- Manage and actively support the development of the senior leadership team, and continually hold the team to high standards for planning, people leadership, and accountability for achievement of Kepler’s ambitious impact goals
- Support the senior leadership and management teams on a daily basis and support them as they work to manage their own teams; lead the senior leadership team in reaching critical strategic and operational decisions
- Set the global strategy and ensure delivery of Kepler’s overall academic offerings, working closely with the Vice Chancellor, VP for Academic Affairs and Academic Leadership Team
- Set the global strategy and ensure delivery of Kepler’s employer engagements, working closely with the Vice Chancellor, VP for Academic Affairs, and Careers team
- Set the global strategy and ensure delivery of all of Kepler’s engagements around refugee education – and especially the Kepler campus in Kiziba – working closely with the Director of Humanitarian Programs
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Ten or more years of professional experience
- Proven record of fundraising success, preferably in the international development and/or higher education space
- Passion for the mission of addressing the youth unemployment crisis in Africa
- Demonstrated success leading and managing a high-performing organization and team
- The ability and desire to motivate, coach and develop an extraordinary team of local leaders
- Experience in creating partnerships
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and charisma, with the ability to develop strong relationships across a diverse spectrum of stakeholders
- Experience in education, business, consulting and international development preferred
How to apply: