Board of Director (Volunteer)
Organization: Boundless Brilliance
Boundless Brilliance is a Los Angeles County based 501c3 nonprofit, and our mission is “to educate, empower, and engage students in order to close the gender gap in STEM fields.” We envision a future of STEM leadership that is as diverse as the world in which we live.
The organization was launched in 2017 and has quickly grown from operating with one chapter, to 3 chapters, with over 100 volunteers, that has delivered our STEM immersion presentations to over 6,000 students. We’ve even recently published and began the distribution of We Are Brilliant! A STEM Workbook for Future Leaders, a 64-page workbook intended to be a continued learning platform following a Boundless Brilliance classroom presentation, and expose students who cannot participate in our workshops to our unique empowerment model.
Our Programs: Boundless Brilliance’s core programming is our empowering school-based workshops which are conducted as 45-minute presentations, provided at no cost. These presentations include hands-on STEM experiments and empowerment activities. Our other programmatic activities involves community outreach and education. Through partnerships with other nonprofits, museums, and other school districts.
What We Are Seeking:
We seek accomplished and energetic candidates of any background for our board of trustees, who are inspired by our mission. Successful candidates will bring an understanding of nonprofit governance, and a commitment to the expansion and long-term sustainability of Boundless Brilliance and its mission.
A strong board will possess a wide spectrum of skills and traits among its trustees, including:
- A commitment to participate fully in open and candid board discussions. An ability to ask tough questions and challenge conventional thinking in a respectful manner. Capacity as an active communicator, listener, and collaborative colleague. A willingness to learn and adapt as the organization’s circumstances require.
- An ability to identify, attract, and engage major donors and supporters, and to exemplify a commitment to financial sustainability through personal contributions. A willingness to actively participate in the fundraising efforts of the organization.
- A capacity to think broadly and strategically about the organization’s role in our community. A willingness to innovate and take measured risks. A familiarity with the management of complex organizations.
- The potential over time, to play a leadership role within the board.
- A knowledge of social, political and economic issues around sex trafficking.
- A fluency with budgets, financial reports, investment decisions, and risk management.
- Integrity, good judgment, diplomacy, resilience, and stamina. Grace in dealing with a broad spectrum of personalities and politics, and good humor in working with board colleagues, organization employees, volunteers and other stakeholders.
We are especially looking for individuals who particularly are passionate about: women and girls’ empowerment, diversity & inclusion, STEM, and education.
Any of the following specific experience would be of great benefit to the Board of Directors:
- fund development
- event management/ planning
- strategic planning
- legal expertise
The board is responsible for fiduciary oversight, strategic direction, and active fundraising while leaving management of day-to-day operations to the executive director. This includes key areas of engagement:
1. Vision, Strategy and Oversight
- Participating in periodic vision setting and strategic planning.
- Overseeing and reviewing the organization’s finances including approving the annual budget, monitoring expenditures and ensuring that sound risk management policies are in place and in compliance with all legal requirements.
- Providing support and counsel to the executive director and her staff as requested.
- Identifying, cultivating, selecting, and orienting new trustees.
- Reviewing the executive director's performance at regular intervals.
- Assessing board and trustee performance.
- Determining board size and composition; and setting policies regarding committee assignments and the selection of officers.
3. Fundraising and Promotion
- Working with the Executive Director and the Development & Outreach Director to identify, introduce, solicit, and cultivate the long-term interest of potential donors, other funders, and volunteers in supporting the organization.
- Contributing an annual gift to the organization commensurate with personal capacity.
- Assisting the organization in raising its visibility in print and online media, among the public and various constituencies.
As a volunteer Board of Director you will:
- Share your expertise
- Increase leadership skills
- Help your community
- Build a strong network
- Make a difference
How to apply:
If interested in joining the Board of Directors of Journey Out, and/or learning more about the organization; please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org