Bench Consultant, Gender Integration
Location: Stanford, CA, USA
Organization: Global Center for Gender Equality at Stanford University
The Global Center for Gender Equality (GCfGE) at Stanford University aims to redefine the approach to global health and development by creating a multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural network of researchers, policy makers and practitioners to build on the evidence on what works to address gender inequalities, fill key gender data gaps and equip the next generations of global health and development leaders to tackle gender equality challenges. Our vision is to create opportunities for advancement of gender equality through gender transformative research, policy, leadership and programming that enable all people to achieve their full human potential.
A key pillar of this center is Gender Mainstreaming and Integration that focuses on applying an intersectional gender lens across development programs, institutions and private foundations to accelerate impact across sectors and geographies. To support implementation of this initiative, the Global Center for Gender Equality will back its in-house expertise with a bench of external experts who can provide demand-driven advisory and technical gender integration support, to build gender integration capacity, and develop new sector-specific tools for gender integration.
Qualifications and Expertise
To the support the Center’s Gender Integration pillar, we are seeking diverse candidates for our Consultant Bench to bring on for short-term project assignments as an independent consultant or contractor. We are seeking dynamic individuals who are passionate about social justice and come with a range of expertise, including recognized experts in a particular field with 15+ years of experience as well as junior consultants with 5+ years of experience. Below outlines the core competences and qualifications, we are seeking.
Core competencies include:
- Proven ability to apply an intersectional gender lens to diverse bodies of work.
- Proven ability to conduct gender analyses/assessments and action plans.
- Experience designing practical, sector-specific gender integration tools, templates and toolkits.
- Expertise in gender integration and mainstreaming strategies in a development context.
- Experience designing and facilitating gender trainings.
- Proven ability to work with large funders and development organizations.
- In-depth understanding of international development processes, actors and cultures.
- Strong understanding of, and personal commitment to, a rights-based approach to gender equality and international development.
- Strong understanding of the international human rights framework for gender equality.
- Proven track record of maintaining strong professional partnerships and working in multi-cultural environment.
Assignment specific competencies may include:
- Measurement & Evaluation: Experience designing outcome-focused gender M&E structures. Experience with program monitoring and evaluation, including the design of tracking systems, development of indicators, and mechanisms to capture change in gender indicators. Experience developing and implementing large-scale randomized control trials (RCTs) in the low-resource settings.
- Deep capacity building experience: Expertise in participatory, feminist adult learning training theory and practice. Significant experience in designing and facilitating interactive meetings, workshops, and trainings.
- Grant writing experience: Experience writing and/or editing grant proposals for large funding organizations or private foundations
- Strategy development: Experience leading strategic planning processes, including articulation of annual strategic priorities. Serve as a strategic partner and thought partner within an organization to drive alignment of team’s implementation plans. Ability to define strategy metrics, progress metrics and setting of targets and goals. Experience with continuously refining data, metrics and models.
- Sector-specific gender expertise in one of the following areas: Agricultural Development or Financial Inclusion or Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WSH), Maternal, Newborn Child Health, Family Planning, HIV, Nutrition, Vaccine Development, Malaria
Commensurate based on consultancy terms of reference in addition to candidate experience and qualifications.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit their CV, unedited writing sample and two references.
Candidates will be contacted for additional screening and interviews.