AWID Human Resource & Organization Development Manager
Organization: Association for Women’s Rights in Development (AWID)
The Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID) is an international feminist organization working to be a driving force within the global community of feminist and women’s rights activists, organizations and movements, strengthening our collective voice, influencing and transforming structures of power and decision-making and advancing human rights, gender justice and environmental sustainability worldwide. We have just under 50 staff working from 17 different countries around the world, with offices currently in Toronto and Mexico City. AWID is in the process of developing a new strategic plan for 2018-2022 and we are committed to strengthening our internal organizational systems and process. To that end, we are seeking a Human Resource & Organization Development Manager for an initial one-year term with the possibility of extension.
Purpose of the role:
To enable AWID to become a stronger and more effective organization by ensuring coherence between the principles and practices we support externally and those that drive our organization internally. This will be executed through robust learning and staff development of individuals and teams based on effective and transparent HR and performance management systems.
Reports to: Co-Executive Directors
Human Resources Manager Role Competencies:
- Value a feminist intersectional framework and its implications for Human Resources practices
- People centred
- Think and analyze critically
- Build strong Interpersonal relations from the role - across the organization (up, down and across)
- Cognisant of legal, legislative, governance, employment, labour relations issues
- Implement technical areas of upper Human Resources support: organization development, training and development, performance support & management; people, team, organizational wide culture-building; talent assessment and planning; project management
- Work virtually
- Take initiative to identify and solve problems
- Take assessed risks, make errors and learn quickly
- Manage ambiguity
Skills and experience:
- 6+ years professional experience in human resources and organizational development work in the not for profit and/or social justice sectors
- Proven experience of learning and development work with a diverse staff, ideally working virtually across the globe
- Proven experience linking Human Resources processes to overall organizational outcome & impact effectiveness
- Experience in feminist organizations and/or social justice organizations with innovative approaches to human resources management and development
- Experience working internationally in a multi-cultural, multi-linguistic environment
- Working in English; with additional experience in Spanish, French and/or Arabic an asset
- Related certifications and/or formal education,
- Familiarity with Ontario Employment Standards Act an asset
Oversee and advise on supporting AWID to achieve its outcomes and impacts through the development of a robust feminist HR practice:
- Ensure adequate foundations for meeting staffing needs as well as organizational requirements are in place; leads and oversees the management of the employee life cycle in AWID and ensures AWD has clear policies, procedures and processes in place for:
- on boarding
- performance oversight, review and performance management
- staff development
- reward systems including review of salary-scale and salary setting practices and coordination with sister organizations around best practice
- exiting the organization
- ensuring the maintenance of Human Resources files and documentation
Establish and support the individual, team and organizational performance management systems and cycles to:
- ensure the system is fit for purpose and staff are able to operate in it effectively
- set and then monitor the performance management cycle
- provide advice and support to staff and managers and trouble-shoot where necessary
- check consistency and standards within the PM systems
- analyse staff development plans and propose actions
- ensure job descriptions/profiles are up to date
- Advise, plan and implement with the Directors Team, training in all aspects of people management and staff life cycle.
- Develop a program for strengthening feminist leadership and team building across the organization, including mentoring and coaching skills as well as tools for improving virtual team work and supporting a culture of shared leadership.
- Supervise and work with the HR Coordinator in areas including AWID’s pay and benefits policies, recruitment and onboarding, and HR administrative process.
- Monitor compliance with legal requirements and employer obligations
- Report quarterly to the Directors Team on progress, issues arising and recommendations for action.
How to apply:
Please submit, in English, a cover letter and résumé in Word or PDF format, addressing how you meet the competencies and the necessary skills and experience and outlining why you want to work for AWID. Send to email@example.com by 29 May, 2017. Please include “HR Manager – [your name]” as the subject line of your email.
We have extended the deadline to May 29, 2017, please do not re-apply if you have applied previously.We thank all those who apply, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please. AWID encourages, promotes and support diversity in all aspects of its work.
To learn more about AWID and our programs, please visit our website.
AWID is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to developing inclusive, barrier free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to an employment opportunity, please advise AWID of the accommodation measures, if required, which would enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. All information received in relation to accommodation measures will be treated in confidence.