Arabic Content Specialist
Deadline: Until filled
Organization: Learning Equality
Learning Equality is looking for an Arabic Content Specialist consultant to work on the ecosystem of Arabic educational content for Kolibri, Learning Equality’s open-source educational platform that is specially designed to provide offline access to a curated and openly licensed educational content library with tools for pedagogical support for use in low-resource and low-connectivity contexts. See the Kolibri demo site (available in Arabic) for more info.
Our web-based tool Kolibri Studio gives users full control over the organization of their educational materials. Using this content curation system, anyone can explore pre-organized libraries of open educational resources as arranged by their creators, and bundle, tag, differentiate, and re-order their content to create custom channels for distribution. Available in dozens of languages, the Kolibri collections are designed to support a well-rounded curriculum, including both formal educational materials, some of which are aligned with government curricula--such as lessons and assessments--and exploratory materials, such as books, games, and simulations for use in a diverse set of learning environments.
We’re building out the library on Kolibri Studio to include additional quality Arabic resources, and that is where you come in. We are looking for a consultant who identifies strongly with Learning Equality's mission to bring basic education to under-resourced communities around the world. You will be working closely with Learning Equality’s curriculum team to help expand the Kolibri offline educational library to ensure that offline learners have access to a variety of relevant, vetted educational content in Arabic.
Activities will include:
- Manage the process of developing an inventory of existing digital or digitalizable learning content for native Arabic-speaking K-12 learners, and a timeline of what additional content may be planned for production, building on work that has already taken place.
- Identify gaps in the digital Arabic content ecosystem.
- Facilitate the content curation process in Arabic for pilot of Kolibri in Arabic-speaking contexts.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders to ensure content alignment with national systems in collaboration with counterpart at UNHCR.
- Work with Learning Equality content tooling development team to support the content pipeline process for the import of Arabic content into Kolibri Studio.
- Manage relationships with digital Arabic content creators to support content digitization and content purchasing/creation as needed, and other stakeholders including relevant Ministries of Education.
- Engagement and facilitation of coalition building with the relevant communities focused on open educational resource production or use in Arabic.
- You believe in the power of learning, strive to promote equality, are motivated to work on something new and innovative, and resonate with our statement of core values.
- You love to build things, and like to think carefully about how best to serve the needs of a diverse set of users.
- You have at least a few years of experience working on large projects in team environments, while also exceling at working independently.
- You’re proactive, capable, and excited to help us push this vital work forward.
- Professional or academic experience with curriculum design, curriculum standards, and country-level education policy. Applicants with any educational background (including graduate students) may apply.
- Research and writing skills including literature reviews, scoping, benchmarking, comparative analysis, and report writing.
- Experience with education ecosystems and demonstrated ability to collaborate and coordinate across different education stakeholders; experience in content acquisition is a plus.
- Fluent in spoken and written Arabic & English, and some familiarity with differences between Arabic dialects.
- Knowledge of and/or training in public policy, international education and/or library science.
- Experience working in a K-12 classroom, especially at the lower secondary grade level
- Regional education expertise in Arabic-speaking countries (specifically Jordan).
- Exposure to education technology platforms, tools, and libraries.
- Knowledge of open educational resources (OER) and nuances of content licensing (e.g., Creative Commons).
- Familiarity with programming (e.g. Python, SQL, R, Django, etc) for data gathering and analysis.
- Experience working with curriculum developers, Ministries of Education, UN agencies, and international and grassroots INGOs, especially those in the Arab world.
Projects to be completed by Q4 of 2018, with contractor working on a part-time basis with potential for additional work following completion. Contractor may be based remotely and preference will be given to those living and working in Arabic-speaking countries. Please include your standard daily rate in your application. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
How to apply: