African Diaspora Partnerships Manager
Location: USA (city flexbile)
Organization: Thousand Currents
This role is designed to move financial resources from the African diaspora to Thousand Currents’ African community-based partners.
We are looking for an African Diaspora Partnerships Manager who knows that Africans around the globe are the only ones that can transform African communities and understands that the concept of “international aid” and “development” must be eliminated. The ideal candidate is determined to channel and connect diaspora resources with social movements working on economic justice, food sovereignty, and climate justice in Africa. Additionally, the African Diaspora Partnerships Manager is creative, resourceful, and a self-driven organizer who enjoys building connections and relationships with people - be it over a dinner, a conference, a community center, or a side meeting at a multilateral convening.
1. Design and lead all African diaspora donor organizing and engagement activities:(approximately 50% of time)
Under the supervision of the Regional Director, Africa and in close coordination with the Philanthropic Partnerships team and the Communications team, the African Diaspora Partnerships Manager creates Africans in the Diaspora (AiD) strategy and leads all program activities,
2. Conduct program-specific and organization-wide philanthropic advocacy and resource mobilization activities to channel more resources from diaspora Africans to the Thousand Currents Africa program and partners (approximately 40% of time)
In close partnerships with the Philanthropic Partnerships team, the African Diaspora Philanthropic Partnerships Manager plans, designs and implements all diaspora donor advocacy and resource mobilization.
3. Participate in organization-wide learning, cross-program partnership and administrative efficiency (approximately 10% of time)
Along with all other staff, this position contributes to Thousand Currents’ culture of experimentation, teamwork and continuous learning and does what it takes to ensure that Thousand Currents staff collaborate and support each other within and across programs and excel in an environment where every member takes care of their own basic administrative needs.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, maximum of one page, a resume and answers to the questions below to firstname.lastname@example.org with “African Diaspora Partnerships Manager Application” in the subject line by January 31, 2019:
- What role(s) do you see African diaspora philanthropy playing? (500 word maximum)
- Describe your experience(s) engaging with the African diaspora community.(500 word maximum)