Advocacy Network Field and Advocacy Manager
Deadline: Until filled
Location: Miami, USA
Founded in 1994, the mission of the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health (NLIRH) is to build Latina power to guarantee the fundamental human right to reproductive health, dignity and justice. We elevate Latina leaders, mobilize our families and communities, transform the cultural narrative and catalyze policy change.
NLIRH seeks a Florida Latina Advocacy Network (FL LAN) Field and Advocacy Manager. This is a new position, and we are looking for a committed individual who is passionate about organizing to raise the voices of Latinxs in Florida for policy change at all levels of government on issues that impact their lives, their dignity, and their health through grassroots advocacy. The FL LAN Field and Advocacy Manager will oversee the growth of the base of activists willing to take action on issues, develop community leadership, build relationships with key local, state and national stakeholders, partners, and elected officials, advance civic engagement strategies, participate in coalitions, and assist in campaign development and implementation. The position will oversee the FL LAN Field Coordinator and work closely with them to expand the grassroots movement for reproductive justice in the communities of Miami-Dade, Broward and Orange counties. Candidates must have experience in community/political organizing, and a commitment to reproductive health and rights and/or social justice issues.
This position will report directly to the Community Mobilization Field Director.
· Supervise the FL LAN Field Coordinator(s) or similar positions;
· Oversee the growth and maintenance of activist groups throughout Miami-Dade, Broward and Orange counties to promote and support the NLIRH policy agenda by organizing within the community and connecting with community members and other organizations in the region;
· Cultivate and strengthen relationships with elected officials, community partners and organizational allies;
· With support from the FL LAN Field Coordinator, lead the effort to build a group of allied organizations within health, immigrant rights, civil rights, economic justice and LGBTQ liberation;
· In coordination with Civic Engagement Manager, lead civic and voter engagement efforts in the region, including:
· Manage activists in their efforts to conduct engagement activities including running a canvas and/or phone bank, elected official outreach, and other voter-turnout/engagement activities;
· Build and track outreach activities;
· Coordinate efforts with State Voices/Florida Civic Engagement Table and partner organizations oversee engagement with these relationships in order to enhance efforts and overall success and represent the interests of NLIRH;
· Pursue strategic leadership positions in various coalition and partner spaces, where the reproductive justice and FL LAN perspective can be uplifted and engaged;
· Represent FL LAN in regional movement building efforts
· Develop and implement campaigns in collaboration with the Community Mobilization Team;
· Activate the base to respond quickly to urgent legislative issues;
· Provide trainings as part of overall civic engagement and leadership development plans (LOLA modules, education campaigns, etc.);
· Lead FL LAN grassroots mobilization efforts to Tallahassee during legislative session and other key times where state policy priorities will be engaged, in coordination with the Government Relations team;
· Serve as an NLIRH spokesperson for media and communications opportunities as determined;
· Monitor and report progress on program goals, and monitoring and reporting program expenditures in a timely manner;
· Collaborate with the Education Manager and Civic Engagement Manager to maintain the training program for development and growth of the LAN leaders and activists;
· Collaborate with the development department to support fundraising efforts for the FL LAN;
· Work with the Senior Director of Community Engagement Programs and the Community Mobilization team in other community mobilization efforts, including our National Advocacy Weekend in Washington, D.C. and our annual National Latina Week of Action for Reproductive Justice;
· Work in collaboration with the Government Relations and Public Affairs teams to support state policy analysis and guidance on all media efforts;
· Travel required up to 30-40% of time.
· At least two years of political organizing with demonstrated responsibility at state or national level;
· A working understanding of the structure of the state; knowledge of the Florida landscape is required
· Fluency in written and spoken Spanish, required;
· Must have a valid driver’s license and preferable own transportation;
· Knowledge and commitment to reproductive health and rights and/or social justice issues;
· Experience working with communities of color and immigrant communities;
· Ability to manage multiple campaigns at once and to prioritize appropriately;
· Familiarity with modern technology (preferably familiar with civic engagement tools i.e. the Voter Activation Network (VAN) and Catalist voter files), understand and utilize social media and be metrics driven;
· Preference given to candidates that have relationships with key policymakers, civic engagement and reproductive health and rights stakeholders in the region;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills; Strong presentation and public speaking skills
· Thrives in a fast-paced environment with mixed deadlines;
· Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, database management/web/online tools, and social media/new media technologies;
· Strategic and tactical thinker with demonstrated leadership, analytic, and creative skills;
· Strong interpersonal skills including an ability to foster teamwork and to motivate a wide variety of individuals and stakeholders;
· Familiarity with 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 non-profit rules;
· This position requires 30-40% travel.
Commensurate with experience.
NLIRH offers excellent benefits, including health insurance, vacation and sick leave.
How to apply:
Please send your resume, cover letter, and a brief writing sample (2-3 pages) via e-mail to email@example.com. Please include in the subject line: Applicant - FL LAN Field and Advocacy Manager.