Lieu: Washington, USA
Organisation: Women LEAD
Seeking a professional to volunteer for a Treasurer Board Member Role for Women LEAD, a non-profit based in Washington, D.C., focused on empowering young women to lead in Nepal.
Women LEAD is the first leadership and professional development organization for young women in Nepal. Our vision is of a better world where women leaders co-create the future. Since 2011, we have empowered over 2,000 young women with the skills, support, and opportunities needed to become leaders in their schools, communities, and nation.
Women LEAD is recruiting a Treasurer who is truly committed to our mission and vision to serve on our Board of Directors for a two-year term. Serving on the Women LEAD’s Board of Directors is an opportunity for individuals who are passionate about building the capacity of a growing nonprofit to empower the next generation of female leaders in Nepal- and beyond.
The Board of Directors is comprised of leaders dedicated to WLEAD’s vision who act as our advocates and ambassadors, and are fully engaged in identifying and securing the resources and partnerships necessary for the organization to scale up its impact within the next three years. They make personal contributions of time, money, connections and expertise.
- Ensure financial transparency, accountability and strong internal controls across the organization
- Set financial management policies and procedures with ED
- Act as point of contact for the IRS, prepare and file Quarterly Employer’s Form 941, review and approve Form 990.
- Establish a finance and audit committee and serve as the Chair
- Approve all payments over $4,000, hold a checkbook and a debit card and reimburse board and US-based expenses as-needed.
- Work with Executive Director to monitor cash flow, review monthly accounts, and conduct quarterly finance calls with staff and the Nepal treasurer.
- Keep the board appraised of key financial events, trends, concerns, and assessment of fiscal health;
- Partner with the staff leadership to develop the annual budget. Provide guidance and oversight in conveying budget information to the board. Ensure that budget priorities and decisions reflect the intentions and objectives of the board;
- Translate financial information and financial concepts for the board. Present financials at quarterly board meetings.
Board Member Responsibilities:
- Attend an initial Board orientation and quarterly Board meetings (usually held on Wednesday evenings in the DC metro area)
- Work with other Board members to provide strategic oversight and guidance to the organization and utilize talents to support and grow Women LEAD’s vision
- Act as Ambassador for Women LEAD to donors, partners and other stakeholders and represent the organization at fundraising events
- Assist ED and Board Chair with the recruitment of additional board members and advisors to strengthen and grow the organization
- Inform others about Women LEAD and actively reach out to personal contacts and networks
- Learn Women LEAD’s articles of incorporation, bylaws and policies for effective oversight and fulfillment of fiduciary responsibilities
- Make an annual Give-Get commitment that is personally significant, (average commitment is $1,000)
- Commitment to the core values, purpose, and vision of Women LEAD and a demonstrated passion for women’s empowerment
- Strong background in financial accounting and taxes, preferably with nonprofits
- Experience serving on a nonprofit board and strong understanding of fiduciary responsibilities
- Able to commit 5-7 hours each month
- Based in the Washington, DC area
- U.S. Certified Public Accountant (preferred)
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, including “Treasurer” in the subject line by March 31, 2018. We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply immediately. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.