Senior Staff Attorney, U.S. Litigation Program
Date limite: Jusqu'à ce que le poste soit pourvu
Lieu: New York, USA
Organisation: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center)
The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women's reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. Its mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, DC and a staff of more than 150 diverse professionals. Its annual operating budget is approximately $29 million, the result of an extraordinary growth trajectory; the Center is now poised for a new phase of significant expansion through its next Strategic Plan.
The Center’s game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women’s rights advocates in more than 55 countries.
The Senior Staff Attorney will report to the Senior Director, Litigation or Senior Counsel, Litigation and be a critical member of the Center’s U.S. Litigation Program team which brings impact litigation on reproductive rights and justice issues in federal and state courts around the country. The Center’s high-profile and fast-paced litigation often involves novel legal claims, and our groundbreaking cases have changed the law and improved the lives of women throughout the U.S.
The Senior Staff Attorney is a superivory role at the Center. This individual will be responsible for managing cases as lead counsel as well as supervising and guiding junior staff to achieve positive results. He/she must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and willing to engage collaboratively with other litigation team members, across program and department teams, and with external partners as required in support of the Centers’ mission. The individual who assumes this role must be tenacious, proactive, and contribute to a positive collegial work environment.
Position placement: New York City preferred. Will consider Washington, D.C.
As a Senior Staff Attorney in the U.S. Litigation Program, primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Act as lead counsel and engage in all aspects of litigation, including developing new cases and legal theories, discovery and motion practice, trials and appeals;
- Nurture and maintain client relationships, including providing compliance advice;
- Actively participate in strategic and program planning, as well as case budgeting;
- Supervise, mentor and coach staff attorneys, legal fellows, legal assistants;
- Represent the Center at public events, conferences, and coalition meetings;
- Maintain other important institutional relationships, including relationships with pro bono counsel, co-counsel and other external partners;
- Work with Communications and Development departments to provide support and information, as needed, including handling press calls; and
- Work on other projects, as needed, such as legislative advocacy, human rights advocacy, and drafting legal or factual analyses for Center publications or external publications.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Strong commitment to the Center’s mission, purpose, and values.
- J.D. required; 7+ years’ litigation experience, including judicial clerkship(s)
- At least 2 years supervising, training, or mentoring junior attorneys or individuals with different levels of experience.
- Depending on location, New York or District of Columbia active bar membership required or willingness to become a member within 18 months of hire.
- Demonstrated ability to manage all aspects of litigation with limited supervision, including significant experience in both trial and appellate courts.
- Proven ability to serve as lead or co-lead counsel in all phases of litigation and to successfully lead strong litigation teams that include individuals of varied levels of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to identify novel and innovative litigation approaches and opportunities.
- Outstanding legal analysis skills.
- Excellent research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Superior communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with individuals at different levels internally and externally.
- Excellent organizational, project management and time management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines while continuing to maintain a positive team environment.
- Ability to give and receive feedback and resolve conflicts constructively.
- Experience working with external co-counsel or in coalition settings with multiple organizational partners.
- Experience with reproductive rights issues or with human rights, LGBTQ rights, racial justice, economic or social justice and ability to connect and integrate to reproductive rights. Experience working with or on behalf marginalized communities is a plus. Other relevant experience will be considered.
- Ability to travel occasionally as needed.
- Collaborative: Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups. A willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
- Innovative: Demonstrated ability to be innovative and highly productive, with a focus on excellence in a high energy, fast moving, deadline orientated environment
- Commitment to learning: Applies a growth mentality to their own and their supervisees’ development and pushes self and others to work out of comfort zone. Promotes a culture of learning by modeling inquisitiveness and an openness to viewing mistakes as an opportunity to learn and improve.
- Passion for coaching and mentoring staff: Empowers and motivates supervisees. Creates opportunities for learning, and leadership, with a focus on harnessing skills for the future development of team members.
- Integrity: Possesses impeccable integrity and personal and professional values that are consistent with the Center's high standards and mission.
- Adaptive/flexible: Has a can do/will do attitude and demonstrates comfort with ambiguity and calculated risk-taking.
- Transparency: Consistently applies openness and honesty in communicating decisions and plans to team members
- Empathy: An empathetic, approachable team player who engenders trust and confidence, with an inherent ability to interact positively with all members of the Center staff.
- Compensation: The Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits program.
Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three references must be included in your application in order to be considered for this position. Please include these application materials as attachments.