Director of Research, Knowledge & Advocacy
Lieu: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Organisation: Mama Cash
Purpose of the position
Working in close collaboration with the Management Team and Board of Directors, the Director of Research, Knowledge and Advocacy will lead the development and implementation of the vision and strategic direction for Mama Cash’s thought leadership, knowledge building, and influencing work. A key focus of the position is establishing the organisation’s political voice, positioning, and impact, with a focus on evidence and learning.
In addition to Research, Knowledge and Advocacy Team responsibilities, the Director will contribute to the work of other teams, and provide vision and strategy for the development of Mama Cash as a whole.
The Director of Research, Knowledge and Advocacy reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with and is part of the Management Team.
The Director of Research, Knowledge and Advocacy is a thought leader, experienced advocate, research and evaluation expert, and an experienced people manager with a passion for making a difference in the human rights of women, girls and trans people globally.
The Director of Research, Knowledge and Advocacy provides leadership, strategic direction, oversight, coordination and priority setting for the team that delivers Mama Cash’s strategies in the areas of Learning, Monitoring and Evaluation; Knowledge Building; and Influencing the Donor Community.
Essential job functions:
The Director of Research, Knowledge and Advocacy will:
Leadership and management
- Work to ensure the well-being of the organisation as a whole and model effective leadership to all Mama Cash staff.
- Interpret, translate and implement Mama Cash’s values, vision and strategies into the Research, Knowledge and Advocacy Team’s work plans and working processes.
- Provide strategic leadership, vision and oversight to the Research, Knowledge and Advocacy areas of Mama Cash’s work.
- Inspire, motivate and manage the Research, Knowledge and Advocacy Team, ensuring that employees are aware of what is expected of them and providing them with the support and tools to do their work.
- Manage and oversee all Research, Knowledge and Advocacy initiatives.
- Help lead the ongoing conceptualization, refinement, and articulation of Mama Cash’s theory of change.
- Ensure Mama Cash is continuously able to learn and innovate through robust monitoring and evaluation of Mama Cash’s programmes, including through timely strategic reviews.
- Steer the building of an evidence base and support case-making on funding feminist movements and women’s funds through research and knowledge production and dissemination to a variety of audiences.
- Lead the deepening and strengthening of Mama Cash’s influencing and advocacy agendas and approaches, particularly in the area of influencing philanthropic and bilateral donors.
- Conduct related targeted influencing and advocacy, including in collaboration with others.
- Ensure conceptual, analytical and political coherence between Mama Cash’s research, knowledge and advocacy work.
- Consult regularly with women’s funds, women’s NGOs, donors, and other relevant actors in order to stay current with international women’s rights and feminist trends and to ensure that Mama Cash’s research, knowledge and advocacy agendas are responsive to these.
Organisational relationships; internal and external communication
- Ensure Mama Cash’s programmatic work is monitored and evaluated in ways that build the whole organisation’s learning and strengthening including by ensuring different teams have the data and insights they need to carry out their work.
- Work closely with the Management Team to develop and monitor the annual budget, ensure flows of relevant information across the organisation, and encourage effective coordination between teams, especially vis-à-vis cross-team projects and initiatives.
- Represent Mama Cash externally in various national and international conferences and in the media, identifying opportunities for political visibility and positioning.
- Help to establish Mama Cash’s political voice by contributing analysis and insights on the women’s rights and women’s funds movement within key feminist, women’s rights, and philanthropic and donor spaces, including online.
- Contribute to the development and reinforcement of cooperative relationships within the international women’s rights and women’s funds movement, and international philanthropic and donor arenas, including by participating in relevant affinity groups and membership organisations.
- Build strong and effective collaborations and alliances with peers, allies and other stakeholders for learning and evaluation, knowledge and evidence building, and influencing and advocacy.
It is expected that the allocation of work will be 50 – 50 (internal – external), with occasional international travel.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Believe passionately in Mama Cash’s mission, vision and values.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the area of women’s rights and social change in an international context, with a solid network.
- Expert knowledge from the field of planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning including relevant tools for Mama Cash’s work.
- Knowledge of research methods relevant for advocacy work.
- Excellent leadership, management, and supervisory skills.
- Able to think critically, analytically and strategically, and able to set priorities.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills in the English language (oral and written). The ability to present and represent Mama Cash (and its interests) both internally and externally in a convincing manner. Fluency in at least one other language relevant to Mama Cash’s work is preferred.
- Proven knowledge of budgeting.
- Sensitivity and commitment to cultural, racial, ethnic, language and socioeconomic diversity.
- Able to work under pressure and keep a good sense of humour.
- Able to juggle multiple priorities and take initiative.
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis.
- If working remotely, willingness to work from the Mama Cash office for at least a week or two every 4-6 months.
Education and experience:
- At least 10 years work experience in the area of women’s rights or social justice with progressively increasing management responsibility and preference for experience with groups in the global south or east.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in relevant field: International Human Rights, Anthropology, Sociology, Political Science, Gender Studies.
- Well networked in the fields of women’s rights, philanthropy and social justice.
- Proven managerial experience (strategic and operational) with professionals from diverse (cultural) backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising and developing staff.
- Experience designing and developing learning, monitoring and evaluation systems for women’s rights, social justice or related organisations.
- Successful advocacy track record, including experience with media advocacy.
Both a letter of motivation and CV (resume) need to be submitted in English, stating the job title, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply regardless of where they are based. This position can be filled by someone working remotely, and re-locating to Amsterdam is not required.
Candidates willing to relocate to Amsterdam who are not currently in possession of an EU work permit will receive support in obtaining a visa and will be reimbursed for relocation.