Consultant for Feminist Movement Building in the MENA region
Organización: Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF)
Context and Project Overview
Operating in a highly fragmented and volatile and fluid landscape, women’s rights and feminist groups and activists across the MENA region are facing multifaceted obstacles due to the unstable and volatile political and security situations, militarisation, and fast-changing political context at local and international levels.
Women’s rights and feminist organisations, groups and activists in MENA have played a key role in bringing their feminist analysis and action to lead and influence developments in the region and globally. However, the massive demand on their time, and the shrinking space and increased challenges to their activism, freedom of expression and movement meant that little time and space were left to collective thinking and strategising as well as reflecting on the drawbacks within the movement including issues of diversity and inclusion, coalition and alliance building.
Goal and objective
WILPF aims at developing and sustaining inclusive feminist space(s) and strategies in the MENA region through promoting cross regional collaboration among women's rights and feminist organisations, groups and activists. This is to be done through collective designing and implementation of a regional convening as a safe space to foster solidarity dialogues within the feminist movement in MENA, and to highlight issues, shift perceptions, form alliances and bridge communities, organisations and movements.
- The convening will be built on a mapping exercise and a subsequent consultation process to ensure diverse voices and representations of feminist organisation across the region.
- The convening is to bring together diverse feminist visions and approaches, levels of operation (community, national, or international), levels of intervention (humanitarian, Academia or development), with the aim of creating a safe feminist space, and ensuring inclusivity of key priorities and strategies.
- The convening could include several thematic workshops to encourage knowledge sharing, enhance the skill-set of participants and create an empowering environment to promote solidarity and tackle important issues that are facing the movement. It will also be space to encourage self-care and collective healing.
- Design a mapping exercise/process to map out MENA feminist organisations, collectives, and/or activists across the region, to bring together diverse visions, levels of operation, levels of intervention, and feminist approaches, that will foster the direction of the convening as a safe feminist space that will ensure inclusivity of key priorities and strategies.
- Develop and implement, based on the mapping exercise, a consultation process with key identified feminist organisations, collectives and activists, with the aim of shaping the direction and the content/agenda for the regional convening and the aftermath phases if possible.
- To feed into the subsequent phases of the regional convening, through delivering a report on a regional follow-up actions as per the outcomes of the regional convening;
- Oversee the logistical preparation for the regional convening, as part of all other arrangements of coordination and meetings as deemed necessary
- Develop and submit a report capturing the proceedings, content and main aspects of the regional convening and its aftermath direction.
- Coordinate closely with relevant MENA team members where and as needed;
- Designing of a mapping of women’s rights and feminist organisations, groups and activists to take part in the consultation process : January - February 2020
- Designing of and reporting on the consultation process that will follow the mapping exercise, in preparation of the regional convening : March - April 2020
- Regional convening is held effectively and in a timely manner : June 2020 (TBC)
- Submission of a report on the proceedings of the regional convening and a roadmap for subsequent phases : August 2020
The consultant is to demonstrate:
- Commitment to WILPF’s values, feminist, peace, and gender equality
- Relevant experience and knowledge about gender, women human rights, Women Peace and Security, feminism and women organising the MENA region
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel
- Fluency in English and Arabic
Interested candidates should submit the following to email@example.com with “Application for MENA Consultancy” in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Up-to-date CV outlining relevant skills and experience
- Cover letter (not exceeding two pages) outlining the added value you will bring to this consultancy
- Technical proposal detailing the methodology, timeline and related costs
The deadline for applications is 16 December 2019 23:59 CET.