Fundraising & Programme Development Officer
Organización: The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA)
Background and Context:
The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) is a coalition of civil society organizations from Sudan, South Sudan, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, Somaliland and Uganda. Founded in 1995, the organization advocates for social change and gender equality in the Horn region and works specifically on protecting women’s human rights, promoting women’s access to justice, supporting economic empowerment and activating women’s political participation. SIHA’s Regional Secretariat is located in Kampala, Uganda, and SIHA maintains field offices throughout the region.
Under the supervision of the Regional Director (RD), and in close collaboration with SIHA Program team particularly SIHA Head of Finance and Administration, the Fundraising & Programme Development Officer (FPDO) will be responsible for identifying programmatic priorities and funding opportunities, developing concept notes and proposals and drafting activities budget and log-frames, while working on building partnerships with like-minded agencies, and liaising with donors and potential partners. SIHA is a growing organization and is seeking candidates capable of contributing to this growth and assisting SIHA to make important impacts on women and girls’ well-being in the Horn of Africa.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Identify relevant areas of programming and funding opportunities;
- Carry research on women rights and gender equality challenges within the region and suggest programs and initiatives for the SIHA program team;
- Able to travel at least twice a year into one of the countries with the region;
- Compile and maintain a database of local and international donors and follow up on donors’ news, and fundraising opportunities;
- Collaborate with SIHA program team in designing fundraising strategy;
- Develop concept notes and proposals in consultation with relevant staff members and partners;
- To build the capacity of partner agencies and integrate them in proposal-writing processes;
- Participate in the promotion of SIHA work and locally and regionally;
- Liaise and communicate with donors as per direction;
- Work closely with SIHA Communications and Advocacy Officer and suggest fundraising and/or communication and events as per request, and to support programme implementation when needed;
The potential candidate must demonstrate experience in proposal development and should have strong writing and research skills; She/he e must be detailed oriented with a good understanding and interest in the Horn of Africa region and the root causes of women subordination. He/she must be able to liaise and communicate effectively with donors, have knowledge of programme design and should have a proven track record of successful fundraising. She /he should be able to function effectively within a multicultural team; Must have strong and professional communication and writing skills (these are essential for this post) and must possess a strong sense of initiative with the ability to learn fast and be flexible in times of increased workload. She/he should be able to work under minimum supervision, under pressure and must be able to meet deadlines.
- A strong academic background in the fields of Humanities/ Social Studies, International Development, Gender Studies and/or Human Rights;
- A good understanding of the political and gender dynamics in the Horn of Africa ;
- A minimum of 4 years of work experience in programme development & management and/or fundraising-
- Strong knowledge of fundraising dynamics and trends, proposal format and application procedures of key donors, including Logical Framework Analysis, development of project timelines, etc;
- The candidate must be familiar with donors’ format and requirements and should have experience in project budgeting and analysis;
- Excellent command of English and excellent communication skills;
- Proven organizational skills, including the ability to manage priorities, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Strong sense of initiative and must be able to work independently;
SIHA is committed to offer a fair remuneration based on qualifications and experience. Please send your resume, contact details for three professional references, application letter to email@example.com not later than theAugust 20, 2018 4:00 pm East African Time.
Please enter ‘FPDO APPLICATION – NAME’ in the subject field.
Due to the volume of applications SIHA receives, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.