Lugar: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Organización: The Global Alliance for Green and Gender Action (GAGGA)
The Global Alliance for Green and Gender Action (GAGGA) was launched in 2016 by three organisations: Fondo Centroamericano de Mujeres or FCAM (the Central American Women’s Fund – the Nicaragua-based, lead coordinating organisation), Mama Cash (an international women’s fund headquartered in the Netherlands), and Both ENDS (an independent, Dutch environmental justice NGO). The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands (MFA) supports GAGGA with a five-year grant.
In recognition of existing expertise, GAGGA includes Global Greengrants Fund (GGF) and Prospera, the International Network of Women’s Funds, as strategic partners1. The alliance also works directly with, and provides funding support to national, regional and global funds2 and a wide range of grassroots women’s rights and environmental justice organisations in more than 30 countries across Latin America, Africa, Asia and Europe. As such, GAGGA brings together decades of grassroots knowledge and practice as well as a gender lens to decision-making processes related to water, food security, and climate change from local to international levels.
Since the start of the programme, GAGGA has been working on influencing the donor community (foundations and bilateral donors) and international financial institutions to leverage more and better funding for grassroots organisations working at the nexus of environmental justice and women’s rights. For this specific area of work, GAGGA set up an Influencing Donors Committee (IDC), which includes representatives of the three alliance members as well as GAGGA´s strategic partners (Prospera and GGF). In the first two years of the project, this committee developed a high-level strategy for 2018-2020 and ensured the presence of GAGGA in relevant donor spaces3.
As we move into the third year of the programme, GAGGA identifies this to be a key moment to further strengthen its influencing donors work, ensuring the effective implementation of GAGGA´s strategy and its related activities as well as ensuring coordination, engagement and follow-through of the IDC to achieve expected results. For this reason, GAGGA is looking for an Advocacy Advisor, with expertise in women´s rights and/or environmental justice and with extensive knowledge of relevant donors and international financial institutions and their practices. This role is intended to help maximize the power and synergy of this alliance in this area of work, providing senior level strategic support and advice so that the alliance as a whole, can achieve the objectives set out in their influencing donors strategy and maximise collaboration with the MFA, as relevant.
- Coordinate and guide implementation of GAGGA´s donor influencing strategy and actions (targeting of specific donors, engagement in specific spaces, etc.), in an effective and efficient way. This is to be done together with relevant members and partners and aligned with GAGGA´s Communications Plan.
- Provide advice on GAGGA’s donor influencing strategy and its implementation, taking into consideration the work that has been taken forward in 2016 and 2017 as well as the plans for the years to come. Where necessary this advice should serve for the review of the more detailed annual action plans.
- Strengthen relations with Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA)
- Coordinate alliance members to engage with the MFA, as well as other areas within the Dutch government, to ensure continued support for women´s rights and environmental justice, specifically in the Global South.
- Work closely with the MFA as a key ally to influence other foundations and bilateral donors as well as international financial institutions to ensure more and better funding for grassroots organisations working on women´s rights and environmental justice.
- Liaise when relevant and needed with the MFA and the Dutch Parliament, including attending meetings in The Hague, in consultation with GAGGA´s Steering and Programme Committees.
- Prospect, engage and strengthen the relation with other bilateral funders, mainly European.
- Represent GAGGA in donor spaces and support the participation of GAGGA members, partners and allies in such spaces.
- Contribute to the capacity strengthening of GAGGA members, partners and allies, with regards to the donor community.
- Lead the organisational process for GAGGA’s Donors Convening.
- Coordination with the GAGGA Programme Coordinator:
- Coordinate closely with the GAGGA Programme Coordinator on GAGGA’s evidence-building, advocacy and communications agenda to ensure strong collaboration, good communication and clarity around decision-making between the Steering and Programme Committees, including timely action on critical issues and decisions, and the involvement of relevant working groups (Communications Working Group, Influencing Donors Committee, etc.).
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Strong commitment to women’s rights and environmental justice;
- Extensive knowledge and experience of working with and successfully engaging the international human rights donor community, specifically environmental and/or women´s rights funders;
- Extensive knowledge and experience of working with and engaging international financial institutions, specifically on women´s rights and/or environmental justice;
- Familiarity with the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Dutch Parliament, and their frameworks and policies related to aid, development and human rights;
- Understanding of cross-movement building, with knowledge on women´s rights and/or environmental justice as an added value;
- Experience in enabling multiple organisations to work together including navigating and addressing tensions in a way that strengthens partnership;
- Knowledge of some or all GAGGA partners, their constituencies and geographical reach, how they operate and relationships between them;
- Ability to build trust across multi-actor collaboration as the basis for joint actions;
- Strong analytical, communications and writing skills;
- Fluency in Dutch and English, Spanish a plus.
Education and experience
- Minimum 10 years of experience in donors influencing (with a focus on bilateral donors) and advocacy with international organisations and movements working from a feminist perspective, especially in the Global South.
- Experience in lobbying and engaging the Dutch MFA, other bilateral organisations a plus.
- Experience in navigating sensitive and complex political relationships.
- Experience in building and facilitating coalitions and partnerships.
- Reports to GAGGA Steering Committee;
- Works in Amsterdam, The Netherlands;
- 20 hours per week.
Candidates should send their cover letter and CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30th 2018. Please include “GAGGA Advocacy Advisor” in the subject.
Download the information: https://bit.ly/2ktL2mq
1GAGGA Strategic Partners are organisations with experience in creating networks between women’s and environmental justice movements; these strategic partners have previously worked on issues relevant to GAGGA and have long-term relationships with FCAM, Both ENDS and/or Mama Cash.
2Latin America: Fondo de Acción Urgente, Fondo Apthapi Jopueti, Fondo de Mujeres del Sur, CASA, MAR Fund, and Fundación Tierra Viva. Africa: Fonds pour les Femmes Congolaises, Women Fund Tanzania, Urgent Action Fund Africa, and Global Greengrants Fund. Asia: MONES, South Asia Women´s Fund, TEWA, Keystone Foundation and Non-Timber Forest Products Exchange Program. Europe and Global: Foro Internacional de Mujeres Indígenas, Women’s Fund Georgia, and FRIDA – Young Feminist Fund. Mama Cash and FCAM, as Women Funds, and Both ENDS also provide funding to groups and NGOs involved in the alliance.
3Women Deliver Conference 2016, EDGE Conference 2016 and 2017, International Human Rights Founders Group Conference 2016 and 2017, AWID 2016, Global Summit for Community Philanthropy 2017 and Environmental Grantmakers Association Fall Retreat 2017, amongst others.