Lugar: Washington, USA
Organización: JASS (Just Associates)
Reporting to the Operations Director and Financial Controller & Systems Manager, as part of the cross-regional Finance and Operations team, the Senior Accountant performs assigned accounting functions requiring in-depth knowledge of the JASS financial systems. This position will provide support for various aspects of the cross-regional finance department’s operations, applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) in the analysis, verification and preparation of general ledger transactions and other financial records. Additionally, the Senior Accountant will also work in close collaboration with the Controller and Director of Operations in the area of grants management, including developing budgets for proposals, tracking restricted expenditures, the releasing of funds and the reporting on restricted grants.
- Assist in ensuring that the JASS’ accounting and financial controls, policies and procedures are maintained and followed, recommending enhancements where necessary and appropriate.
- Assist in overseeing payables and receipts and in preparing journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Monitor bank accounts daily for cash flow purposes and work with Controller to manage cash flow to meet operating needs.
- Conduct analysis and verification of financial data both internally and with outside service providers/vendors, such as monthly bank reconciliations.
- Maintain fixed assets records, including preparing and recording monthly depreciation, journal entries and annual reporting requirements.
- Prepare payroll, including reconciliation of employee time and attendance records, preparation of monthly payroll and pension accounting journal entries, and production of monthly/quarterly reports.
- Track, monitor and maintain files and reports for JASS’ contracted service providers and vendors; perform annual 1099 reporting process for vendors;
- Assist in compiling schedules and in the 990 IRS and State annual filings.
- Work closely with the Controller to execute month-end closing procedures and postings and in the preparation of financial Statements and Budget to Actual Reports.
- Support annual year-end close process, including preparing supporting schedules for the interim/annual audits and tax returns.
- As a member of the cross-regional Finance and Operations team, provide support to the regional finance staff, work to reconcile regional specificities and legal requirements; and support the integration of financial data from the regions into JASS’s central finance system.
- Provide financial, contractual and compliance management across all of JASS’ donor funded projects, working closely with Program and Regional staff and Director of Operations to ensure alignment; including budgets for proposals.
- Assist in the monitoring, reporting and (re)forecasting of JASS’ institutional (restricted) income.
- Ensure quality control for reported deliverables in regard to re-grants for which JASS is the fiscal sponsor.
- Support the implementation of integrated workflows and drive improvements in organizational financial systems, controls, policies and processes pertaining to restricted funds/grants management.
- Contribute to the development of strategy, financial policies and procedures to maximize income and cost recovery from donor contracts, with a focus on direct and indirect cost recovery.
- Monitor the effective cost recovery and the releasing of funds across all restricted grants that JASS manages.
- Assist in the development of internal cost models, expense allocations and external budgets for restricted grant proposals.
- Assist in donor audits and coordinating provision of relevant information necessary to meet audit obligations.
- Support the Controller and Director of Operations in developing proactive, flexible and adaptive approaches and policies for managing risks related to the (institutional) donors.
- BA in accounting or related field
- A minimum of 5 years working in a senior financial position for a nonprofit organization
- Experience accounting for and reporting on a variety of restricted funding sources, including private foundations and government grants with a clear understanding of cost classifications, expense allocations and cost recovery methodologies
- Knowledge and experience using INTACCT accounting software a plus
- Experience working for an international NGO a plus
- Spanish language skills a plus
- Commitment to the goals and mission of JASS
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received without a cover letter will not be considered.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regret we are unable to respond to every candidate. We will contact only those candidates who have been selected for an interview.