Program Officer, Monitoring and Evaluation
Lugar: Ottawa or Ontario, Canada
Organización: Oxfam Canada
Oxfam Canada (OC) is an international development agency with a focus on women’s rights and gender equality, committed to building lasting solutions to global poverty and injustice by advocating for fundamental social change. We work in relationships of solidarity and partnership to build the capacity of civil society in the Global South. As a founding member of Oxfam International, Oxfam Canada works in collaboration with other Oxfam affiliates to increase impact and influence locally, nationally and globally.
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Manager, Field Operations, the Program Officer (PO) provides Head Office–based monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) support in the delivery of Oxfam Canada’s Creating Spaces to Take Action on Violence Against Women and Girls program. This five-year program (2016-2021), co-funded by Global Affairs Canada, aims to reduce violence against women and girls (VAWG) through coordinated prevention and response initiatives in Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Pakistan and Philippines.
This position will play a key role in the development and application of a MEL system that enables Oxfam Canada to assess the impact of Creating Spaces and improve program quality, effectively track performance against targets, and generate learning on VAWG-related programming. The PO will also engage with a range of external stakeholders to advance promising practices and disseminate learning, as well as supporting program management processes as needed.
Successful completion of this mandate will require the PO to negotiate and maintain effective working relations with a range of stakeholders, including staff in the six Country Offices, Head Office colleagues in the International Program Department, as well as program partners and allies, and donors.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
Program Monitoring and Evaluation (60%):
- lead the further development of the program performance measurement framework (PMF);
- develop monitoring tools and methods to support effective application of the PMF;
- coordinate the timely collection and analysis of quality monitoring information;
- contribute to the production of a variety of monitoring and other reports for a range of stakeholders;
- contribute to various VAWG-related knowledge initiatives (incl. on research on attitudes, norms and behaviors to end VAWG);
- support other program management and compliance processes as needed, this could include reporting, tracking of budgets, assessing performance targets and program information management.
Program Learning and MEL Advisory Support (20%):
- support, and in some cases lead, program improvement and learning processes, including by identifying, documenting and sharing promising practice, lessons and case studies / stories;
- provide monitoring and evaluation technical assistance to Country Offices, including designing and delivering results-based management, and monitoring and evaluation training;
- provide MEL advisory support to Country Offices on a range of program-related issues;
Monitoring and Evaluation Capacity Strengthening (10%):
- Provide MEAL advice and support to other Oxfam Canada projects and programs, including by supporting the development of monitoring tools and methods, and by reviewing reports; and,
- Contribute to new project proposals.
Other related duties as assigned (5%)
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- University degree in international development, women’s studies or other relevant field. University-level academic or professional training in program monitoring and evaluation considered an asset;
- A minimum of three years’ work experience in monitoring and evaluation in the international development sector; work experience in Asia considered an asset;
- Demonstrated experience with a wide range of monitoring and evaluation methods, including gender-sensitive and feminist methods, and familiarity with for qualitative and quantitative data gathering and analysis techniques. Experience with online survey software is definitely an asset;
- Strong analytical understanding of, and demonstrated experience in, gender equality and women’s rights in international development, including in particular VAWG programming;
- In-depth understanding of results-based management;
- Demonstrated experience in the development and application of performance measurement frameworks;
- Knowledge and experience of donor reporting;
- Experience supporting complex and large scale multi-country, multi-stakeholder programs;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Fluency in a second language is considered a strong asset;
- Strong analytical and report-writing skills;
- Commitment to gender equality and women’s rights;
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills;
- Demonstrated capacity to work both in a self-directed manner and collaboratively with other staff and stakeholders;
- Strong computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail and data base systems, use of social networking;
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a wide range of cultural and political settings.
- Ability to travel within Canada and internationally is required.
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
Please submit applications to email@example.com quoting competition number POME1117 in the subject line of email.