Who We Are
What is AWID?
Welcome to AWID! The Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID) is an international, feminist, membership organization committed to achieving gender equality, sustainable development and women's human rights. A dynamic network of women and men around the world, AWID members are researchers, academics, students, educators, activists, business people, policy-makers, development practitioners, funders, and more.
Our mission: what we do
AWID’s mission is to strengthen the voice, impact and influence of women’s rights advocates, organizations and movements internationally to effectively advance the rights of women.
Our vision: why we do it
AWID believes that women’s rights are not only necessary in and of themselves, but that they are central to ending the challenges the world faces today. Eradicating poverty, building peace, effectively tackling the HIV and AIDS pandemics, to name just a few – no lasting solutions to these issues are possible without a strategy that puts women’s rights at the centre. AWID works to build a world where women’s rights have been achieved and where all people enjoy their human rights.
Our values: the principles that guide our work
- Our work is built upon feminist values toward the full equality of women and human rights of all people. This includes work towards the eradication of all discriminations based on gender, sexuality, religion, age, ability, ethnicity, language, nationality, class or other factors.
- We are committed to work as part of a movement to build our collective voice, power and influence.
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion by bringing marginalized voices and perspectives to the table in the pursuit of human rights for all.
- In all our interactions we strive for transparency, responsible use of financial resources, fairness, accountability and integrity.
- We will work independently from any political party, government or religious institution.
- We will strive for excellence, while being creative, bold and courageous.
Our outcomes: what we hope to achieve
In working with diverse partners and allies and our broader constituency AWID seeks to achieve the following seven outcomes by the end of our Strategic Plan
- Stronger, better-resourced and more effective women’s organizations and movements advancing women’s rights and gender equality worldwide.
- Renewal and expansion of the agendas of women’s movements internationally through infusion of ambitious, creative and future oriented ideas and issues, and stronger interconnections, alliances and partnerships among diverse expressions of women’s organizing across regions and sectors.
- Stronger alliances between women’s rights movements and other social movements to advance agendas in pursuit of human rights for all.
- Shifts in donor and development policy and practices for a greater financial and political commitment to gender equality and women’s rights, including women’s organizations.
- Greater inclusion of women’s rights activists and organizations in key development policy spaces internationally (both in terms of presence and effective voice in influencing these spaces to advance gender equality).
- More visible, vocal and engaged young women in women’s organizations and movements with young women’s work clearly supported and highlighted, including across all AWID initiatives.
- A more politically engaged and expanded AWID membership that includes increased representation from underrepresented regions or sectors.
In order to achieve our mission and outcomes, AWID works through multi-year initiatives.