Resisting and Challenging Religious Fundamentalisms
About this Initiative
Religious fundamentalisms are on the rise around the world and across religions, with negative consequences for women’s rights. AWID launched the CF initiative in 2007 to strengthen the responses of women’s rights activists to this growing phenomenon.
The CF team conducts innovative research to contribute to greater strategic thinking, dialogue and advocacy on religious fundamentalisms by women’s rights groups. The research has identified the key characteristics of religious fundamentalisms, examined the factors that help them grow, and detailed how they impact women’s rights across regions and religions.
The initiative offers analysis that unmasks and demystifies religious fundamentalisms, and shares strategies that women’s rights activists use to challenge them.
The CF team also supports advocacy, builds alliances with women’s rights, human rights and development organizations and facilitates strategic dialogue on religious fundamentalisms.
In the News
Browse the latest news items on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Nigeria Abductions: Parents Say girls Still Missing
- India: Court recognises transgender people as third gender
- Peru: LGBT supporters march for civil union debate
- Italy: Doctors Abort a Law
- India: SC agrees to consider curative petition on section 377 in open court
- Narendra Modi as prime minister would roll back women's rights in India
- Long time coming, and still long way to go: Inside Lebanon's new domestic violence law
- Kyrgyzstan: Withdraw Draconian Homophobic Bill - Draft Legislation Would Deny Fundamental Rights
- Myanmar's census stokes tensions
- A Call for Universal Access to Safe, Legal Abortion
Urgent Actions and Statements
Browse the latest statements and urgent actions related to women resisting fundamentalisms
- Global Call on Freedom of Expression for LGBT people
- UK: Open Letter To The President Of The Law Society
- UK: Petition by Lawyers' Secular Society
- Russian Federation: Discriminatory acts against members of the Russian LGBT Network
- United Nations Human Rights Council Urged to Address Lack of Access to Contraceptives and Family Planning
- CSW58 Statement for General Discussion on behalf of the Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Caucus
- 160 Human Rights Defenders Demand Release of Imprisoned Iranian WHRDs, Bahareh Hedayat and Maryam Shafiepour
- “Protection of the Family” Joint Statement will undermine work to end child early and forced marriage, violence against women and sexual abuse of children
- Call for Solidarity: We, the Women, are in Taksim in Istanbul on the 8th of March!
- Statement by Indian Groups and Individuals on Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Act
Calls for Participation and Events
Browse the latest calls for participation and events related to religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- RelDevSpeaks: Webinar Religion and Sexuality
- Call for applications: CREA's Sexuality, Gender, and Rights Institute: Exploring Theory and Practice, 21-29 June 2014, Istanbul, Turkey
- USA: Take Soulforce’s survey on how they should respond to 'religious exemption' laws
- Lecture: Women and religion by Joan Wallach Scott
- Global: March conversation on engaging non traditional allies
- Call for Papers: After Communism, East and West under Scrutiny
- Call for Papers: First National Population Conference, Nepal
- Call for Papers - National Seminar on Globalization, Multiculturalism and Peace-building
- Call for participation: Women of Spirit and Faith Invite Contributors to Divine Feminine
- Turkey: Fourth World Congress for Middle East Studies
Facing Fundamentalisms Newsletters
Here you will find an archive of the Facing Fundamentalisms newsletters, featuring updates, analysis and resources about challenging religious fundamentalisms from around the world.
Analysis and Resources
Browse the latest analysis and resources on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights
- El Salvador: meet the women who dare to challenge the anti-abortion state
- The Forgotten History of Gay Marriage
- Why does Lebanese bill on domestic violence fail to tackle marital rape?
- Pakistan: Cultural values are no excuse for risking women’s lives
- Belgium: European Women’s Lobby is deeply concerned about a new attempt to undermine women’s rights
- Egypt: Women's Rights On Paper, Not Yet On Ground
- Uganda: LGBT Ugandans In Hiding, Suicidal Following 'Jail the Gays' Law
- Fighting Fundamentalisms Through Faith
- New Watchdog Newsletter on the 47th Session of the Commission on Population and Development
- Libya’s Qur’anic Schools Getting Stronger and Radicalized