Resisting and Challenging Religious Fundamentalisms
About this Initiative
Religious fundamentalisms are on the rise around the world and across religions, with negative consequences for women’s rights. AWID launched the CF initiative in 2007 to strengthen the responses of women’s rights activists to this growing phenomenon.
The CF team conducts innovative research to contribute to greater strategic thinking, dialogue and advocacy on religious fundamentalisms by women’s rights groups. The research has identified the key characteristics of religious fundamentalisms, examined the factors that help them grow, and detailed how they impact women’s rights across regions and religions.
The initiative offers analysis that unmasks and demystifies religious fundamentalisms, and shares strategies that women’s rights activists use to challenge them.
The CF team also supports advocacy, builds alliances with women’s rights, human rights and development organizations and facilitates strategic dialogue on religious fundamentalisms.
In the News
Browse the latest news items on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Pakistan: Blasphemy Sentence against Private TV Channel Will Have Chilling Effect on Media Freedom
- ISIS Executes Female Parliamentary Candidates in Mosul
- Iran Releases British-Iranian Woman on Bail
- Celebrating Women's Rights Heroes
- Turkish President: 'Equality between Men and Women Is against Nature'
- Update: Bahrain – Provisional release of human rights defender Zainab Al-Khawaja
- Egypt's First Female Genital Mutilation Trial Ends in Not Guilty Verdict
- Brazil: Thousands Attend Pride March to Speak out against Anti-LGBT Murders
- Turkey to Open Mosques 'in Every University'
- Report: Gambian Arrests, Detention, Search for Gays
Urgent Actions and Statements
Browse the latest statements and urgent actions related to women resisting fundamentalisms
- Press Release: The World at a Crossroads: Women Have the Solutions
- Gambia must stop wave of homophobic arrests and torture
- Update: Egypt - Continued judicial harassment of Ms. Mahienour El-Massry
- Morocco: Ibn Rochd Center for Studies and Communication to Shut Down
- Sri Lanka: High Commissioner condemns attacks against human rights defenders
- Mali: Complaint Filed on Behalf of 80 Victims of Rape and Sexual Violence during the Occupation of Northern Mali
- Amid Crackdown, UN Calls on Egypt to Protect Civil Society Space
- Open Letter: Egyptian Human Rights Organizations Decide Not to Participate in Egypt's UPR Appearance
- Joint Press Release on the Verdict against Sanaa Seif, Yara Sallam and 21 Other Co-Accused in Egypt
- Kyrgyzstan: Anti- "Homosexual Propaganda" Draft Law Adopted by the Parliament in a First Reading
Calls for Participation and Events
Browse the latest calls for participation and events related to religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Call for Applications: RESURJ Africa Feminist Dialogue 2015
- Call for Global Week of Action, October 11-18: #BringBackOurGirls Now and Alive!
- Call for Proposals: Small Advocacy Grants for CSOs in the Middle East and North Africa
- Ireland's 3rd Annual March For Choice
- #AskYanar: Your Chance to Connect with an Iraqi Women’s Rights Activist
- Egypt: Send Your Support To Yara Sallam And Other Imprisoned Human Rights Defenders
- In the Mainstream: Religious Extremism in the Middle East and North Africa
- Call for Chapters for the book Gender and Diversity Issues in Religious-Based Institutions and Organizations
- Italy: Rights on the move Rainbow families in Europe
- Call for Papers: Abortion: The Unfinished Revolution
Facing Fundamentalisms Newsletters
Here you will find an archive of the Facing Fundamentalisms newsletters, featuring updates, analysis and resources about challenging religious fundamentalisms from around the world.
Analysis and Resources
Browse the latest analysis and resources on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights
- Iran: a 'bloody stain' on the nation
- Iranian Kurdish Female Fighters Battle to Fight IS Group
- Cuba Has 'Come a Long Way' on LGBT Rights
- Islamic State: Diary of Life in Mosul
- An Advocacy Brief: Post 2015 Development Agenda
- Facing Fundamentalisms - A Reader Writes: An Open Letter to the Pope
- Boko Haram Violence against Women and Girls in Northeast Nigeria
- Secularism at Risk in Sub-Saharan Secular States: The Challenges for Senegal and Mali
- The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan
- The Right To Autonomy Over Our Bodies And Loves: The Resolution On Human Rights, Sexual Orientation And Gender Identity Furthers Dialogue