Resisting and Challenging Religious Fundamentalisms
About this Initiative
Religious fundamentalisms are on the rise around the world and across religions, with negative consequences for women’s rights. AWID launched the CF initiative in 2007 to strengthen the responses of women’s rights activists to this growing phenomenon.
The CF team conducts innovative research to contribute to greater strategic thinking, dialogue and advocacy on religious fundamentalisms by women’s rights groups. The research has identified the key characteristics of religious fundamentalisms, examined the factors that help them grow, and detailed how they impact women’s rights across regions and religions.
The initiative offers analysis that unmasks and demystifies religious fundamentalisms, and shares strategies that women’s rights activists use to challenge them.
The CF team also supports advocacy, builds alliances with women’s rights, human rights and development organizations and facilitates strategic dialogue on religious fundamentalisms.
In the News
Browse the latest news items on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Iran Will Allow Women in Sports Stadiums, Reversing a Much-Criticized Rule
- Amnesty International Says Afghan Government Fails to Protect Female Activists
- Afghan Woman Raped, Impregnated and Jailed for 'Adultery by Force' Marries Her Attacker
- Chilean Court Upholds Constitutionality of Civil Unions Bill
- Maltese Lawmakers Approve 'Cutting-Edge' Gender Identity Bill
- Twenty-Year Sentence Handed to Purvi Patel for Death of Foetus Condemned by Women's Groups
- Child Brides Take Zimbabwe Government to Court over Marriage Laws
- Another Blogger Hacked to Death in Bangladesh, Police Say
- Young Gay Man Attacked in Bolu by Nationalists
- Nigeria: Final Onslaught - Boko Haram Killing 'Wives' to Prevent Marraige to 'Unbelievers'
Urgent Actions and Statements
Browse the latest statements and urgent actions related to women resisting fundamentalisms
- Iraq: ISIS Escapees Describe Systematic Rape
- Press Release by the Nigerian Feminist Forum (NFF)
- In Solidarity with Victims of Garissa Attack
- Global: Fighting for equality should not equal death - Justice for Salwa is Justice for All
- Women Human Rights Defenders International Coalition urges Egyptian authorities to drop charges against Azza Soliman
- Egypt: Judicial Harassment of Human Rights Defender Ms Azza Soliman
- Bahrain: Travel Ban Imposed on Human Rights Defender Ms Ghada Jamsheer
- Iran Indicates a Move toward Ending Anti-LGBT Torture
- Signature Campaign to Demand the Release of the Prominent Feminists from China
- Libya: Killing of Human Rights Defender Ms Intissar Al Hasairi
Calls for Participation and Events
Browse the latest calls for participation and events related to religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Men in Charge? A Seminar
- Development, gender equality and religious fundamentalisms
- Signs Special Issue: Pleasure and Danger - Sexual Freedom and Feminism in the Twenty-First Century
- Call for Applications: RESURJ Africa Feminist Dialogue 2015
- Call for Global Week of Action, October 11-18: #BringBackOurGirls Now and Alive!
- Call for Proposals: Small Advocacy Grants for CSOs in the Middle East and North Africa
- Ireland's 3rd Annual March For Choice
- #AskYanar: Your Chance to Connect with an Iraqi Women’s Rights Activist
- Egypt: Send Your Support To Yara Sallam And Other Imprisoned Human Rights Defenders
- In the Mainstream: Religious Extremism in the Middle East and North Africa
Facing Fundamentalisms Newsletters
Here you will find an archive of the Facing Fundamentalisms newsletters, featuring updates, analysis and resources about challenging religious fundamentalisms from around the world.
Analysis and Resources
Browse the latest analysis and resources on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights
- Afghanistan: Government and international community turning their back on women human rights defenders
- Chile: Abortion Bill Still Restricts Right To Decide About Our Bodies
- Nigeria: Abducted women and girls forced to join Boko Haram attacks
- #BringBackOurGirls: A Year After Chibok Abductions Women And Girls Are Still In Danger
- Saudi Women in Security Positions Challenge Stereotypes
- Video on extremism and militarism in the MENA/Asia region: Women standing up for rights, peace and plurality
- Challenging Iran's Women's Rights Narrative
- Saving the Memory of Farkhunda
- Remembering: A Tribute to Fallen WHRDs
- CSW59 –Beijing Betrayed