Resisting and Challenging Religious Fundamentalisms
About this Initiative
Religious fundamentalisms are on the rise around the world and across religions, with negative consequences for women’s rights. AWID launched the CF initiative in 2007 to strengthen the responses of women’s rights activists to this growing phenomenon.
The CF team conducts innovative research to contribute to greater strategic thinking, dialogue and advocacy on religious fundamentalisms by women’s rights groups. The research has identified the key characteristics of religious fundamentalisms, examined the factors that help them grow, and detailed how they impact women’s rights across regions and religions.
The initiative offers analysis that unmasks and demystifies religious fundamentalisms, and shares strategies that women’s rights activists use to challenge them.
The CF team also supports advocacy, builds alliances with women’s rights, human rights and development organizations and facilitates strategic dialogue on religious fundamentalisms.
In the News
Browse the latest news items on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Twenty-Year Sentence Handed to Purvi Patel for Death of Foetus Condemned by Women's Groups
- Child Brides Take Zimbabwe Government to Court over Marriage Laws
- Another Blogger Hacked to Death in Bangladesh, Police Say
- Young Gay Man Attacked in Bolu by Nationalists
- Nigeria: Final Onslaught - Boko Haram Killing 'Wives' to Prevent Marraige to 'Unbelievers'
- Kabul Mob Attack: Women Help Bury 'Wrongly Accused' Farkhunda
- Indonesia's Highest Islamic Clerical Body Issues Fatwa Proposing Death Penalty for People Caught Having Gay Sex
- You Deserve Rape, Quran Teacher Tells Children in Turkish School
- Puerto Rican Government to No Longer Defend Marriage Ban
- What a Houthi-Controlled Yemen Means for Women
Urgent Actions and Statements
Browse the latest statements and urgent actions related to women resisting fundamentalisms
- Egypt: Judicial Harassment of Human Rights Defender Ms Azza Soliman
- Bahrain: Travel Ban Imposed on Human Rights Defender Ms Ghada Jamsheer
- Iran Indicates a Move toward Ending Anti-LGBT Torture
- Signature Campaign to Demand the Release of the Prominent Feminists from China
- Libya: Killing of Human Rights Defender Ms Intissar Al Hasairi
- Statement of Solidarity with Human Rights Defenders Teesta Setalvad and Javed Anand, India
- Saudi Arabia: Update: Release of two women human rights defenders attempting to drive into Saudi Arabia
- IGLHRC and MADRE Statement on Men Allegedly Executed for Sodomy by ISIS in Iraq
- Statement in Support of Aminetou Mint El-Moctar
- Senegal: 121 Communities in Velingara-Ferlo Publicly Declare Abandonment of FGC and Child/forced Marriage
Calls for Participation and Events
Browse the latest calls for participation and events related to religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Men in Charge? A Seminar
- Development, gender equality and religious fundamentalisms
- Grant for Innovation in Conflict Transformation
- Signs Special Issue: Pleasure and Danger - Sexual Freedom and Feminism in the Twenty-First Century
- Call for Applications: RESURJ Africa Feminist Dialogue 2015
- Call for Global Week of Action, October 11-18: #BringBackOurGirls Now and Alive!
- Call for Proposals: Small Advocacy Grants for CSOs in the Middle East and North Africa
- Ireland's 3rd Annual March For Choice
- #AskYanar: Your Chance to Connect with an Iraqi Women’s Rights Activist
- Egypt: Send Your Support To Yara Sallam And Other Imprisoned Human Rights Defenders
Facing Fundamentalisms Newsletters
Here you will find an archive of the Facing Fundamentalisms newsletters, featuring updates, analysis and resources about challenging religious fundamentalisms from around the world.
Analysis and Resources
Browse the latest analysis and resources on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights
- Challenging Iran's Women's Rights Narrative
- Saving the Memory of Farkhunda
- Remembering: A Tribute to Fallen WHRDs
- CSW59 –Beijing Betrayed
- Prisons and Radicalization in France
- Human Rights Defenders at Risk in Iran
- Religion, Culture and Tradition: No Excuse For Violence
- Our Bodies as Battlegrounds
- El Salvador: Guadalupe’s Pardon a Victory, But Still a Long Road Ahead