Resisting and Challenging Religious Fundamentalisms
About this Initiative
Religious fundamentalisms are on the rise around the world and across religions, with negative consequences for women’s rights. AWID launched the CF initiative in 2007 to strengthen the responses of women’s rights activists to this growing phenomenon.
The CF team conducts innovative research to contribute to greater strategic thinking, dialogue and advocacy on religious fundamentalisms by women’s rights groups. The research has identified the key characteristics of religious fundamentalisms, examined the factors that help them grow, and detailed how they impact women’s rights across regions and religions.
The initiative offers analysis that unmasks and demystifies religious fundamentalisms, and shares strategies that women’s rights activists use to challenge them.
The CF team also supports advocacy, builds alliances with women’s rights, human rights and development organizations and facilitates strategic dialogue on religious fundamentalisms.
In the News
Browse the latest news items on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Vatican slams Uganda anti-gay law
- Uganda: Reverend says heterosexual child rape preferable to homosexuality
- India: Include women in peace process, urge South Asia women
- Lebanon: Landmark ruling rubbishes anti-gay law
- USA: Noted Homophobes Launch Global Antigay Coalition
- Twisted report claims discrimination against Christians in Europe
- Constitutional court issues decision on abortion restrictions in Bolivia
- Afghanistan: Hamid Karzai orders changes to draft law amid fears for Afghan women
- New Afghanistan law to silence victims of violence against women
- Israel: Netanyahu absent from Knesset battle over ultra-Orthodox draft
Urgent Actions and Statements
Browse the latest statements and urgent actions related to women resisting fundamentalisms
- Call for Solidarity: We, the Women, are in Taksim in Istanbul on the 8th of March!
- Statement by Indian Groups and Individuals on Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Act
- India: National Seminar on Migration, Poverty and Social Justice: Perspectives, Policies and Experiences
- AWID first reactions to CSW58 draft agreed conclusions
- President Hamid Karzai: We call on you not to sign the new Law on Criminal Procedures
- Russian Federation. Journalist Elena Klimova, charged under ‘propaganda’ law
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: Failure to Protect LGBTI Festival "Merlinka" in Sarajevo
- Russian Federation: Administrative proceedings against human rights defender Ms Lena Klimova
- 25 African CSOs Oppose Ugandan Anti-Homosexuality Bill
- New Women’s Rights and Gender Equality hub on 'theguardian.com': Share your Ideas!
Calls for Participation and Events
Browse the latest calls for participation and events related to religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Lecture: Women and religion by Joan Wallach Scott
- Global: March conversation on engaging non traditional allies
- Call for Papers: After Communism, East and West under Scrutiny
- Call for Papers: First National Population Conference, Nepal
- Call for Papers - National Seminar on Globalization, Multiculturalism and Peace-building
- Call for participation: Women of Spirit and Faith Invite Contributors to Divine Feminine
- Turkey: Fourth World Congress for Middle East Studies
- Call for Applications: Pan Africa ILGA Regional Conference 2014
- Summer Institute on Sexuality, Culture and Society
- Call for Papers for the 2014 Annual Student Human Rights Conference
Facing Fundamentalisms Newsletters
Here you will find an archive of the Facing Fundamentalisms newsletters, featuring updates, analysis and resources about challenging religious fundamentalisms from around the world.
Analysis and Resources
Browse the latest analysis and resources on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights
- Global: The New Cold War Over Human Rights
- How US Evangelicals Helped Create Russia's Anti-Gay Movement
- Christians Are a Cause of LGBT Oppression So We Have to Be a Part of the Liberation!
- India: Meenu's True Story of Girl Power in India
- Love still fraught with dangers in India
- USA: When Does Religious Freedom Mean Freedom to Discriminate?
- Dalit Women Face Multiplied Discrimination
- Musawah Vision: Muslim Family Laws
- Anger in Bosnia, but this time the people can read their leaders' ethnic lies
- Comic strip takes Ugandan LGBT abuses seriously