Resisting and Challenging Religious Fundamentalisms
About this Initiative
Religious fundamentalisms are on the rise around the world and across religions, with negative consequences for women’s rights. AWID launched the CF initiative in 2007 to strengthen the responses of women’s rights activists to this growing phenomenon.
The CF team conducts innovative research to contribute to greater strategic thinking, dialogue and advocacy on religious fundamentalisms by women’s rights groups. The research has identified the key characteristics of religious fundamentalisms, examined the factors that help them grow, and detailed how they impact women’s rights across regions and religions.
The initiative offers analysis that unmasks and demystifies religious fundamentalisms, and shares strategies that women’s rights activists use to challenge them.
The CF team also supports advocacy, builds alliances with women’s rights, human rights and development organizations and facilitates strategic dialogue on religious fundamentalisms.
In the News
Browse the latest news items on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- India investigates reports of mass ‘reconversion’ of Christians
- Egyptian Poet Goes on Trial Accused of Contempt of Islam
- Boko Haram Attacks Key Nigerian City of Maiduguri
- Nigeria: 12 Arrests at Party; Police Call It 'Gay Wedding'
- Malaysia Federal Court Decides Appellate Court’s Ruling on Transgender Rights Can Be Contested
- Chile Poised to Recognize Same-Sex Unions
- Macedonia Bans Same-Sex Marriages and Civil Unions
- Aceh's Sharia Law: Raped and Beaten; Then Formally Whipped
- Possible Anti-Trans Move in Russia: Barring Driver's Licenses
- Nigeria: 'Girl Bomber' Kills 19 People in Maiduguri Market
Urgent Actions and Statements
Browse the latest statements and urgent actions related to women resisting fundamentalisms
- IGLHRC and MADRE Statement on Men Allegedly Executed for Sodomy by ISIS in Iraq
- Statement in Support of Aminetou Mint El-Moctar
- Senegal: 121 Communities in Velingara-Ferlo Publicly Declare Abandonment of FGC and Child/forced Marriage
- Jalal Foundation: Statement for the 65thYear of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Jalal Foundation: Statement on the Elimination of Violence against Women in Afghanistan
- Saudi Arabia: Loujain al-Hathloul and Mayssa al-Amoudi Arrested for Driving
- Statement on the Arrest and Detention of Two Saudi Women Defenders ￼
- Tajikistan: Drop Draft Legislation Restricting NGO Access to Funding
- Syria: No Word on Four Abducted Activists; A Year on, No Information on Douma Four
- Call to 4th World March of Women International Action
Calls for Participation and Events
Browse the latest calls for participation and events related to religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Call for papers - “Upholding Gendered Peace at a Time of War: Academics and Activists Speak Out on the Shifting Places of Women in the Arab World”
- Signs Special Issue: Pleasure and Danger - Sexual Freedom and Feminism in the Twenty-First Century
- Call for Applications: RESURJ Africa Feminist Dialogue 2015
- Call for Global Week of Action, October 11-18: #BringBackOurGirls Now and Alive!
- Call for Proposals: Small Advocacy Grants for CSOs in the Middle East and North Africa
- Ireland's 3rd Annual March For Choice
- #AskYanar: Your Chance to Connect with an Iraqi Women’s Rights Activist
- Egypt: Send Your Support To Yara Sallam And Other Imprisoned Human Rights Defenders
- In the Mainstream: Religious Extremism in the Middle East and North Africa
- Call for Chapters for the book Gender and Diversity Issues in Religious-Based Institutions and Organizations
Facing Fundamentalisms Newsletters
Here you will find an archive of the Facing Fundamentalisms newsletters, featuring updates, analysis and resources about challenging religious fundamentalisms from around the world.
Analysis and Resources
Browse the latest analysis and resources on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights
- Why Myanmar Is Committing a Slow Genocide against Nearly Two Million Rohingya Muslims
- The Storehouse for Abortion Law and Policy
- Gender in Conflict - Brief - No. 33
- Lebanon: Laws Discriminate Against Women
- Lebanon: Laws Discriminate Against Women
- AWID Presents Some Highs and Lows for Women’s Rights and Gender Justice in 2014
- Charlie Hebdo: "There is no way they will make us put down our pens."
- Northern Ireland's Incomplete Peace: Young Feminists Speak Out
- Article 11: Feminists Negotiating Power in Egypt
- Iran Is World's Leading Jailer of Female Journalists and Netizens