Resisting and Challenging Religious Fundamentalisms
About this Initiative
Religious fundamentalisms are on the rise around the world and across religions, with negative consequences for women’s rights. AWID launched the CF initiative in 2007 to strengthen the responses of women’s rights activists to this growing phenomenon.
The CF team conducts innovative research to contribute to greater strategic thinking, dialogue and advocacy on religious fundamentalisms by women’s rights groups. The research has identified the key characteristics of religious fundamentalisms, examined the factors that help them grow, and detailed how they impact women’s rights across regions and religions.
The initiative offers analysis that unmasks and demystifies religious fundamentalisms, and shares strategies that women’s rights activists use to challenge them.
The CF team also supports advocacy, builds alliances with women’s rights, human rights and development organizations and facilitates strategic dialogue on religious fundamentalisms.
In the News
Browse the latest news items on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Kazakhstan Passes 'Gay Propaganda' Draft Bill
- Civil Rights Activist Murdered in Tripoli
- Finnish President Signs Same-Sex Marriage Bill
- Islamist Daily Calls for LGBTI Organizations to Be Closed Down
- Russian Supreme Court Upholds Ban on Hijabs in Schools
- Boko Haram threatens to disrupt Nigeria poll
- Ugandan anti-gay law is dead, but court challenge lives on
- What will it take to stop Isis using rape as a weapon of war?
- Turkey: Financial Incentive for Couples to Marry Young & Have at Least 3 Children
- Tanzania: Trans Man, Wife Arrested on Gay-Sex Charges
Urgent Actions and Statements
Browse the latest statements and urgent actions related to women resisting fundamentalisms
- Statement of Solidarity with Human Rights Defenders Teesta Setalvad and Javed Anand, India
- Saudi Arabia: Update: Release of two women human rights defenders attempting to drive into Saudi Arabia
- IGLHRC and MADRE Statement on Men Allegedly Executed for Sodomy by ISIS in Iraq
- Statement in Support of Aminetou Mint El-Moctar
- Senegal: 121 Communities in Velingara-Ferlo Publicly Declare Abandonment of FGC and Child/forced Marriage
- Jalal Foundation: Statement for the 65thYear of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Jalal Foundation: Statement on the Elimination of Violence against Women in Afghanistan
- Saudi Arabia: Loujain al-Hathloul and Mayssa al-Amoudi Arrested for Driving
- Statement on the Arrest and Detention of Two Saudi Women Defenders ￼
- Tajikistan: Drop Draft Legislation Restricting NGO Access to Funding
Calls for Participation and Events
Browse the latest calls for participation and events related to religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Men in Charge? A Seminar
- Development, gender equality and religious fundamentalisms
- Grant for Innovation in Conflict Transformation
- Signs Special Issue: Pleasure and Danger - Sexual Freedom and Feminism in the Twenty-First Century
- Call for Applications: RESURJ Africa Feminist Dialogue 2015
- Call for Global Week of Action, October 11-18: #BringBackOurGirls Now and Alive!
- Call for Proposals: Small Advocacy Grants for CSOs in the Middle East and North Africa
- Ireland's 3rd Annual March For Choice
- #AskYanar: Your Chance to Connect with an Iraqi Women’s Rights Activist
- Egypt: Send Your Support To Yara Sallam And Other Imprisoned Human Rights Defenders
Facing Fundamentalisms Newsletters
Here you will find an archive of the Facing Fundamentalisms newsletters, featuring updates, analysis and resources about challenging religious fundamentalisms from around the world.
Analysis and Resources
Browse the latest analysis and resources on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights
- Men in Charge? Rethinking Authority in Muslim Legal Tradition
- Practicing Islam in Short Shorts
- What Is Luring Western Women to Syria to Join Isil?
- Sharia Law, Apostasy and Secularism
- Neo-conservative Threats to Sexual and Reproductive Health & Rights in the European Union
- "Grey Area": Abortion Issue in Croatia
- Lebanon Debates Introducing Civil Marriage
- India: Enforce Ruling Protecting Transgender People
- European Court of Human Rights Upholds France’s Ban on the Full-Face Veil
- Breaking Ground: Treaty Monitoring Bodies on Reproductive Rights