CARE is currently seeking a Gender Advisor. CARE in Turkey together with our partners, is providing humanitarian aid to alleviate the crisis in Syria. Gender Mainstreaming and Capacity Building of partner organizations in order to strengthen civil society are key strategic components of CARE’s response activities.
Location: Turkey - Gaziantep
CARE’s strong focus on ensuring gender-sensitive approaches to emergency response recognizes that needs are differentiated by age and gender and that women are often expected to contribute disproportionately towards coping strategies and recovery. There is currently limited understanding among NGO and UN agencies regarding the gendered impacts of the crisis and/or the situation with regards to GBV which few agencies are addressing.
The Position of the Gender Advisor is the Country Office’s focal point for ensuring these strategic objectives are followed and incorporated in all program planning and implementation. She/he will also be directly involved in working with CARE’s partners. CARE and partners will promote gender-sensitive programming at all stages including targeting, prioritization, participation and monitoring. In addition, CARE and partners will endeavor to assess, design and implement appropriate actions to support men and women to cope with the specific challenges they endure. The deployment of the Gender in Emergencies Technical Advisor to Turkey will initiate our gender-sensitive approach when implanting programs.
- Based on available gender information, specific activities to address gender issues will be designed through the DFID program launch and incorporated into the project work plan;
- Review and support gender mainstreaming into the OFDA project activities;
- Support capacity building of CARE staff, volunteers and partners on gender equality in emergency programming and GBV issues will be strengthened under the leadership of the gender advisors.
- Participate in the design and delivery of the DFID program launch to ensure a strong gender-sensitive approach is integrated into all assessments, activities and outcomes;
- Work with partner organizations to design and implement a capacity building plan on gender sensitive emergency response through the development of and training in gender sensitive tools and strategies.
- Gender in emergencies capacity building plan for CARE Turkey and partners;
- Gender sensitive tools (including assessment tools) and a Gender Action Plan developed;
- Develop a proposal for conducting a Gender Assessment
- Ensure gender-sensitive programming across CARE’s work
- Capacity Building of partners related to Gender Sensitivity
- Contribute to gender sensitive program development
- Development studies and experience with organizational assessment and development
- At least five years working in gender sensitive programming and gender in emergencies or equivalent experience
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Strong networking capability
- Ability to organize and facilitate training sessions
- Ability to develop capacity building frameworks and work plans
- Arabic speaking skills preferred