Who We Are
What is AWID?
Welcome to AWID! The Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID) is an international, feminist, membership organization committed to achieving gender equality, sustainable development and women's human rights. A dynamic network of women and men around the world, AWID members are researchers, academics, students, educators, activists, business people, policy-makers, development practitioners, funders, and more.
Our mission: what we do
AWID’s mission is to strengthen the voice, impact and influence of women’s rights advocates, organizations and movements internationally to effectively advance the rights of women.
Our vision: why we do it
AWID believes that women’s rights are not only necessary in and of themselves, but that they are central to ending the challenges the world faces today. Eradicating poverty, building peace, effectively tackling the HIV and AIDS pandemics, to name just a few – no lasting solutions to these issues are possible without a strategy that puts women’s rights at the centre. AWID works to build a world where women’s rights have been achieved and where all people enjoy their human rights.
Our values: the principles that guide our work
- Our work is built upon feminist values toward the full equality of women and human rights of all people. This includes work towards the eradication of all discriminations based on gender, sexuality, religion, age, ability, ethnicity, language, nationality, class or other factors.
- We are committed to work as part of a movement to build our collective voice, power and influence.
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion by bringing marginalized voices and perspectives to the table in the pursuit of human rights for all.
- In all our interactions we strive for transparency, responsible use of financial resources, fairness, accountability and integrity.
- We will work independently from any political party, government or religious institution.
- We will strive for excellence, while being creative, bold and courageous.
Our outcomes: what we hope to achieve
In working with diverse partners and allies and our broader constituency AWID seeks to achieve the following five outcomes by the end of our Strategic Plan.
1. Women’s rights organizations and movements are well informed and equipped to effectively respond to opportunities and counter threats to women’s human rights at different levels.
2. Shifts made in policies and practices of diverse influential actors and institutions that shape or influence human rights and development outcomes (including donors, development agencies, business sector, human rights institutions and major CSOs) to advance, respect, protect and fulfill women’s rights and promote gender justice.
3. Expanded solidarity and powerful joint action among women’s rights activists and allies through meaningful inclusion and engagement of historically excluded or discriminated groups of women.
4. Women’s rights activists across generations, causes and movements are accessing and using knowledge and other resources to strengthen their security and wellness, and expand the enjoyment of their own human rights.
5. Greater visibility and understanding of women’s rights initiatives, the threats they face and effective response strategies led by women and women’s rights organizations, among influential actors and institutions that shape human rights and development outcomes.
In order to achieve our mission and outcomes, AWID works through multi-year initiatives.